I am Clare Gathercole, a registered sole trader operating as SpotFind Proofreading. I am based in the UK but offer proofreading and editing services to clients from the UK and worldwide.
I am the data controller for SpotFind Proofreading, which means I decide how your personal data is processed and for what purposes.
This policy describes how I protect and make use of the information you give me. If you are asked to provide information, it will only be used in ways stated in this policy.
This privacy notice was last updated on 20 May 2018.
Data collected and reasons for its collection
I will never use any of your data for marketing or promotion purposes without getting your permission in writing first (for example, to publish a testimonial from you on my website).
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (2016).
If you contact me (through the website or by other means) I will require your explicit consent to collect, process and store personal data, such as name, or contact postal and/or email address, in order to allow me to:
- respond to your requests for information or for a quote;
- contact you during a project we are working on together;
- keep proper business records and comply with the requirements of my tax authority (HMRC).
Information about your project
If we are corresponding in relation to a project I may ask you for relevant information (e.g., wordcount, project description and document sample, your requirements) in order to allow me to:
- understand the nature of the work involved and, if appropriate, provide you with a realistic quote.
Cookies and web analytics
My website generates “cookies”, small files placed on your computer’s hard drive which enable my website to identify your computer as you view the different pages and thereby:
- track page to page navigation;
- maintain basic web analytics (page visits).
Cookies do not provide me with access to your computer or any information about you other than that which you elect to share with me.
Sharing of data with others
I will keep your information confidential. I will never lease, distribute or sell your data to third parties unless you give me written permission to do so, or I am required to do so by law.
Storage and processing of data
I comply with my obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
I use the email servers of SiteGround and TalkTalk. I store data locally on my devices and backup drives, and in the cloud using Microsoft OneDrive and Outlook contacts. My payment methods include payment via PayPal. All accounts and devices are password-protected.
My website is built in Word Press and hosted by SiteGround. It is password-protected, SSL-certified, and protected by SiteGround’s Site Scanner and backup services. I use Jetpack by Automattic (for basic analytics), together with plug-ins from CookieLawInfo, IdeaSilo, SeedProd, SiteGround, and Van Ons; the theme is from Themezhut.
Microsoft, PayPal and SiteGround have servers which are outside the EU.
Data retention and deletion
Unless otherwise specified in any agreement between us, I will retain data as set out in SpotFind’s Terms and Conditions (Item 20):
- I will keep all information relating to a specific job on my system for at least six months after completion in order to facilitate any subsequent queries.
- After that period, I will retain for at least seven years anything which is required for my business records (this means correspondence, invoice copies and so on).
- I may also retain indefinitely other files, including the document(s) which I have proofread, as a working reference.
Please ask if you want me to delete or amend your information. As long as I’m still complying with HMRC’s legal requirements, I will be happy to do so.
Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data: –
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which I hold about you;
- The right to request that I correct any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for me to retain such data;
- The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time
- The right to request that I provide you with your personal data and, where possible, transmit that data directly to another data controller (known as the right to data portability).
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to object to the processing of personal data (where applicable);
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office.
If you have any questions or requests for modification or removal of your data, you are welcome to get in touch.